Ram's research vision is to create a "robust Internet" by taking a measure-and-then-build approach. To this end, Ram is interested in (a) developing new techniques and tools to empirically measure issues, properties and characteristics of the Internet; and (b) building decision-support systems to enhance Internet robustness by mitigating risks, outages, and cybersecurity issues identified using empirical measurements.
Broadly speaking, Ram has addressed research questions in several areas of computer networking including network measurements and analysis, network economics, large-scale network simulations, debugging and testing in software-defined networks, mobile and wireless communication, Internet of things, visualization, cyber attacks and security issues, and datacenter transport protocols.
- Multi-cloud Computing: [MicroMon -- HotStorage'20], [Characterization -- PAM'20], [CloudX -- IMC'19]
- ML for Networking: [EMERGE -- NetAI'20], [MLTelemetry -- TMA'20], [NoMoNoise -- ICMLA'19], [MACE -- ANRW'19, IMC'18], [EMPol -- SIGKDD'18]
- Optics for Security: [PAEAN -- OptSys'20], [ONSET -- SPIN'20], [vFiber -- NSDI'18]
- Internet Topology: [MetroTubes -- TMA'20], [Yarrp6 -- IMC'18, arXiv'18], [InterTubes -- SIGCOMM'15], [POPsicle -- IMC'14], [Internet Atlas -- HotPlanet'13]
- Decision Support Systems: [CSI -- IMC'18][SoMeta -- IMC'17], [Techno-Economic Framework -- CCR'17, GAIA'16]
- Security and Privacy: [ADAPT -- FGCS'19], [Bokeh -- LocalRec'19], [Dolus -- ICDCN'18], [Bigfoot -- VizSec'16]
- Risks to Topology: [LightsOut -- ANRW'18], [RiskRoute -- CoNEXT'13]
- Time Synchronization: [TZDB -- ANRW'19], [Tezzeract -- Networking'18], [TimeWeaver -- ITC'18], [Time's Forgotten -- HotNets'15]
- Mobile, Edge, Wireless, and IoTs: [SPoT -- IoT'18, arXiv'18], [MEC -- MECOMM'18], [MNTP -- IMC'16]
- SDN Debugging and Simulation: [OFf -- CoNEXT'14], [pfs -- SummerSim'15]
- Datacenter Transport: [ATCP -- IWQoS'13]
Our research is currently funded by a NSF CRII grant, a Ripple faculty fellowship, and a UO Faculty Research Award.